Show Notes: wetflyswing.com/219Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Sponsors: Sawyer Oars: wetflyswing.com/sawyer
Sponsors: Turtlebox Audio: wetflyswing.com/turtlebox
I sat down with Al Quattrocchi to dig into California striped bass fly fishing and the story of how Al Q made his way across the country. We hear about Lefty Kreh, Enrico Puglisi, and other big mentors for Al over the years.
We find out how the Stripers came to California and why they are thriving in the bay area. We get the step x step to getting started and catching your first striped bass on the fly. We also touch on the corbina and why Al is so fired up about catching these southern California fish.
Show Notes with Al Quattrocchi
– Dec Jan and Feb are good times to find Stripers in Southern California including San Diego
– Dan Blanton has a message board here where you can find good resources for Northern California Striper information as well as Dan’s Website. John Sherman is another leader in that area as well.
– The overhang is clarified here in relation to the shooting head and the running line.
– Al calls his casting system the tango
– The surf line by Scientific Anglers and Rio with the outbound short. T8 to T14 heads also work.
– Clouser Minnow is great along witha 7 foot 20 lb test is good.
– The Corbina Diaries is a great resource to get started with these amazing fish.
– Jack Dennis was on the podcast in episode 217 here and Jeff Courier was on in episode 65 here.
– The carp throw down was a huge success. Al notes the hopper patterns for carp.
– Tail Magazine
– Kirk Deter on Makos, Nick Blixt
– The Lefty Kreh episode
– Tornado Creative
You can find Al at AlQuattrocchi.com
California Striped Bass Conclusion with Al Quattrocchi
Al Q breaks down California Striped Bass Fly Fishing with a focus on fishing off of the beach. The surf fishing community is a super dedicated and great group of anglers who will help you get started.
Al shares the exact gear and steps you need to get in your next striper on the fly on the west coasts. We cover tides, cover, and other key factors to be thinking about.
Show Notes: wetflyswing.com/219